Toxic chemicals fragrances that could be making you sick in my last article explained the health risks and now I would like to continue by giving you some safe, healthy alternatives. Choices that allow you to enjoy fresh natural aromatic scents in your home and for your personal fragrances without being concerned about your health. I have included safe and effective ways to avoid toxic chemicals in perfumes and fragrances in your home, for personal cosmetics and products, and ways to deodorize your home naturally.
Easy & Inexpensive Detergents And Fabric Softener for Your Laundry:
- Use 1/4 cup baking soda during rinse cycle instead of toxic scented chemical softeners. It works great and is so much healthier for your family and the environment.
- Use 1 cup baking soda during regular washing cycle to enhance cleaning and will help to deodorize any unpleasant smells that might be lurking in your clothing. I always use baking soda when I have a new clothing item to rid some of the toxic chemicals from fabrics. Baking soda has some many useful purpose when you are serious about going green.
- White vinegar can be used for the same purpose – just add 1/4/ to 1/2 cup to the rinse cycle. It deodorizes and softens your laundry and don’t worry about the vinegar smell, when you take you clothes our of the washer you wouldn’t smell the vinegar. Your laundry will be soft as a cloud and without any unpleasant odors.
Added Aromatic Scents to You Home:
- Use glass jars and punch holes in the top either in a design such as a heart or anyway you choose – add baking soda and organic essential oils, such as lavender, rose, peppermint, or your favorite scent.9 just enough to make the baking soda moist)
- Use spices such as vanilla, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon. or whatever fits your fancy. Put them in the oven or bring them to a simmer on the stove top to add a wonderful aroma through your whole house. Herbs or dried flowers petals can also be used.
- Lemons or limes is also a wonderful option and gives a lovely citrus aroma to any room in your house or your entire home. Place grated orange or lemon rind in small saucer or I have even used orange slices in a small bowl
To Deodorize Naturally:
- To rid your house of any unpleasant odor — set baking soda around or small dishes of white vinegar which will absorb unpleasant odors.
- Apples cut up in pieces in a small area will absorb odors.
- To absorb odors in your refrigerator or in a small area try baking soda or 2-3 slices of white bread
- Unscented kitty litter made from pure bentonite clay
- To absorb carpet odors — sprinkle borax or baking soda on your carpet and do not walk on it for 24 hours then vacuüm with Hepa or water filter. This is much safer and healthier than using commercial made toxic carpet deodorizer.
Scent Yourself With Nature Instead of Toxic Perfumes:
- For a wonderful personal toxic free fragrance try your favorite fresh spice plant such as vanilla, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon or petals from flowers such as orange blossoms or roses — place the spice or flower petals into a high quality extra virgin olive oil and allow them to absorb the oil. You now have a natural toxic free perfume that you can daub the scented oil on you skin as you would any other perfume.
- Another option to a natural toxic free perfume is to chop fresh plants of your favorite flower petals such as roses, honeysuckle and soak them in olive oil and then place equal amounts of the plant in to a bowl of water. Cover the mixture and allow to simmer at least 24-hours. Use cheesecloth to drain the mixture and you have a natural perfume that you made yourself.
- If that seems like too much trouble try just plain organic essential oils – the perfect scent for your taste and dab a drop on just as you would perfume. Non organic essential oils may be contaminated with solvents and pesticides.
(Warning if you have allergies to any specific plants make sure you do not use these to avoid an allergic reaction)
Use natural products such as peroxide (kills germs and bacteria), baking soda, lemons (a great disinfectant and deodorizer) white vinegar
- For non toxic fragrance free styling gel that will add extra body and volume to your hair try using unflavored gelatin and for hair spray add lemons or egg white.
- Any skin care product or cosmetics you use make sure you are using truly natural products fragrance free products and there are many natural home skin cared remedies When you purchase any skin care products make sure you are getting truly natural and organic products. I recommend to check terryseyeongreenmag.blogspot or eyeonbeauty for safe and pure products.
Always read labels very carefully, do your research, and if in doubt don’t buy.
Going green, living organically, and eco-friendly takes effort and making many changes in your lifestyle. Taking one step at a time each day can have an enormous impact on our lives. But I ask you – is there another choice if we want to preserve our planet and stop the pollution of our waters, air, and the contamination of our bodies? I know the answer to that is NO! What we sow we will reap. If we sow pollution and toxicity we will reap disease and sickness, not only to our bodies and to our children but to our planet. It is our duty to save our planet, our health, and preserve this world for our children.
Sources: Less – Toxic Alternatives – Tenth Edition, Author Carolyn Gorman