Superfoods for super health seems to be the answer for many that are looking to improve or gain ultimate health. Foods that have superior health benefits and nutritional value are normally considering superfoods. Understanding why superfoods should be part of your daily diet is extremely important to live a healthy and green lifestyle.
We live in a toxic world that has dangers lurking around every corner. Our foods are contaminated with GMO’s, toxic chemical pesticides, unhealthy chemical processing, and just plain unnatural foods from factory farming.
There are many superfoods that have superior health properties, but I would like to focus on ten that I feel you should try to add to your diet to build a strong foundation against disease.
What are superfoods?
- Superfoods are usually low in calorie but high in protein.
- Contain substantial amounts of omega-3 fatty acids or monounsaturated fatty acids. Replacing saturated fats with monounsaturated fats in your diet will help to lower LDL cholesterol.
- High in fiber that is important for healthy digestion, bowel function, and have shown great promise in preventing diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
- Contain phytochemicals and phytonutrients that have been found to have the potential to prevent disease in clinical research and studies. They fight cancer, prevent heart disease, protect against Alzheimer’s and lower the risk of most diseases.
- Rich in vitamins and minerals. Minerals such as calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, chlorine, potassium, sodium and sulfur, iron, cobalt, copper, fluoride, iodine, manganese, molybdenum, nickel, selenium, vanadium and zinc.
- Low in unhealthy substances such as saturated fats, trans-fats or toxic refined sugars, but contain healthy fats and organic or natural sugars such as raw honey or organic raw coconut sugar.
5 of the 10 Superfoods To Consider Adding To Your Diet:
1. Hemp seed is from a variety of cannabis plant. To learn more about this vital superfood check out “5 Reasons to Use the Best Protein–Hemp!”
2. Pomegranate fruit has a tempting unique flavor. Many times the juice of this topical fruit is used for it bright red color and pleasant enhancing character it can add to drinks and smoothies.
- Pomegranate power provides antioxidants that include polyphenols, such as tannins and anthocyanins. It protects against protraste and breast cancer, heart disease and diabetes, even increases resistance to the flu.
- According to Karen Collins, MS, ED, CDN, a nutrition advisor for the American Institute for Cancer Research, pomegranates may have even more antioxidant power than cranberry juice or green tea, as written in the AICR’s “Nutrition Wise” newsletter.
Add dried organic pomegrante to your organic oatmeal or GMO free cereal, favorite healthy cookie or muffin recipe for a tasty treat.
3. Raw Yogurt that contains beneficial bacteria known as probiotics.
- (Read – “Why You Need Those Friendly Guys in Your Body–Probiotics?” Raw yogurt is a gut healthy superfood that supports your immune system.
- Will help to protect against some many ailments by helping provide you with a healthy digestive system that can prevent food allergies, cancer, and many other diseases.
You can add raw yogurt to almost any smoothie, add it to your favorite fruit, ground organic nuts for a healthy snack, or use it as a substitute for sour cream.
4. Acai Berries are little reddish-purple fruits. Acai berries have many natural health benefits and healing powers.
- They contain flavonoids, anthocyanins, are antioxidant rich, have been used for centuries as a healing, immune-stimulating, energy-boosting fruit.
- Some studies show that they have a higher antioxidants quantity and capacity than blueberries, cranberries, and other superfruits. These wonder berries actually have ten time the antioxidant power of grapes and two times the amount that blueberries contain.
- They are heart healthy.
- Promotes weight loss.
- Supports a healthy digestive system with their high fiber content and detoxification abilities.
- Helps fight cancer with their very high Vitamin C and ellagic acid content.
- Have great anti-aging properties due to their extraordinary high form of plant phytochemicals that can slow or reverse the oxidant damage related to aging.
You can purchase acai berry juice or pulp, dried organic acai berries and add them to your morning smoothie or organic oatmeal.
5. Coconut is a creamy rich superfood that I love for its many health properties and uses.
- Coconut has anti-fungal, anti-viral, and anti-bacterial properties. It has been used in traditional medicine for thousands of years.
- Though it is high in saturated fats studies show that it doesn’t adversely affect cholesterol levels because the saturated healthy fats called lauric acid, a type of MCT (medium chain triglycerides), increases the good HDL cholesterol in the blood to help improve cholesterol ratio levels.
- Among coconut oil many health benefits it has been shown that breaking down these types of healthy fats in the liver leads to efficient burning of energy and helps in weight lost.
- It has shown to control the growth of yeast in the gut and stop yeast infections.
- Coconut oil is a great anti-aging products inside and outside our bodies. It can help stop the damage to other healthy fats and tissues in our body and can actually help reduce the need for antioxidant intake.
- Coconut can help restore normal thyroid function.
Coconut can be used in so many ways. Coconut oil can sustain in high temperatures so is great for cooking and baking, adds wonderful flavor to smoothies, can be used as a flour for baking gluten-free. Raw organic coconut milk or organic coconut flakes can be used in many recipes. I also love drinking organic coconut water.
Berries & Cherries Trail Mix Yogurt Recipe
- 6 ounces Raw Yogurt
- 3 tablespoons 100 percent pure organic pomegranate or acai juice
- 1 teaspoon pure organic vanilla extract
- 1 cup organic wild blueberries
- 1/2 cup frozen organic pitted cherries
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened organic coconut flakes or 1 tablespoon grated coconut
- 6-8 whole organic roasted almonds (gluten-free tamari almonds are a good choice)
Directions: Combine yogurt, juice, and vanilla extract in serving bowl, and mix until blended. Add blueberries and cherries, and mix well until well coated. Fold in coconut and almonds, and serve immediately. Makes 2 serving. Enjoy this creamy, delicious, age-defying, immune boosting, healthy superfood.
Stay tuned for the next 5 superfoods. Learn about their health values and another great recipe in an upcoming article next week!
Shared On NATURAL LIVING MONDAY BLOG HOP!