We all want to have healthy, beautiful skin, and look our best, but sometimes that is easier said than done.There are some important facts that you need to know to keep you skin healthy, looking young and vibrant and on the top of the list is — make sure you go natural and organic with no toxic chemical ingredients. Your skin is so important in having all over good health and well being. Following is some facts, vital information about products and what to look for on labels.
Some interesting facts about your skin:
- you skin is the largest vital organ in your body
- covers an area of approximately 19 square feet
- weighs about 7 pounds
- has 2 layers – the epidermis and the dermis
What are the functions of the skin?
- your skin is the first line of defensive to prevent invasion into the body by germs, bacteria, or any other unwanted protruder
- your skin regulates body temperature through sweat glands
- detoxify organs of poison
- respirate by absorbing oxygen and expirin carbon monoxide
- absorb nutrients
- manufacture vitamin D
- contains sense receptors for pain and tactile sensory stimulation
Your skin must be cleansed of dirt and dry skin cells and stimulated to increase circulation and the functioning of hormones and oil-producing glands so that it can remove about 1/3 of the body’s toxins.
Healthy skin starts from the inside out from the tips of toes to the top of your head. Diet is important in healthy skin – getting the proper amount of Vitamins A, C, E, and B, and essential amino acids in your daily diet is vital.
The products that we apply to our skin is also extremely important to our health. There are many products on the market that do so much more harm than good and it is of vital importance that you know what you are buying and using on your skin and what ingredients they contain. It is so important to investigate your product before purchasing and understand the ingredients. Many products that you may be choosing to nourish your skin are actually drying, irritating and could be causing serious health issues.
Consumer are not properly warned of possible dangers because of “a lack of standards and labeling loopholes”! One of the loopholes is under the FD&C (Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act) cosmetics and skin care products are not required to have any of their ingredients approved for safety or health risks before they are sold to us the public. There are only a few exceptions and most raw materials and ingredients are totally without any regulations or government control.
Personal care products can contain allergens, chemicals, coal tar dyes, drying agents, irritants, microbial growth inhibitors, preservatives, among other dangerous ingredients.
Ingredients that are Health Hazards in Commercial Brands Moisturizers and Skincare Products:
1. Parabens – Parabens are Synthetic Preservative & Microbial growth inhibitors – are used for their anti-bacterial properties
- they mimic estrogen causing low sperm counts
- decreased testosterone – researchers have found high levels of parabens in breast tumors leading to the conclusion of them being applied to the skin (hormone disrupting chemicals accumulate in body tissue) A real health concern for pregnant women and adolescents because of the delicate hormonal balance. A. According the EWG other personal care preservatives to avoid
are: —DMDM hydantoin, Imidazolidinyl urea, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone MEA, Triclosan, Triclocarban, Triethanolamine (or “TEA”) – TEA, MEA, DEA is a big concern because they form cancer-causing nitrosamines ! (These are usually at the end of the label ingredient list.)
2. Formaldehyde chemical is also used as a preservative in skincare and baby products
- Short-term exposure can cause skin irritation and rashes
- watery eyes and burning in the nose when inhaled
- other serious side effects include the weakening of the immune system and cancer. Environmental Protection Agency classified the chemical as a “probable carcinogen.” The International Agency for Research on Cancer has classified formaldehyde as a human carcinogen
3. Coloring and Dyes — made from Coal Tar Dyes which contain heavy metal salts that deposit toxins on the skin — look for FD&C or D&C — followed by a color and then a number.
- Skin Irritation and Sensitivity — Can Blue is known as an allegenic, Yellow, & FD&C Red 4 is consider a carcinogen
4. Propylene Glycol (anti-Freeze), Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Laureth These are many times derived from petroleum and are harsh detergents that gives soaps their ability to form lather. Often derived from petroleum, sulfates can also come from vegetable oils that can be contaminated with pesticides. Try to avoid ingredients that start with “PEG” or have an “-eth” in the middle.
- Sulfates can cause eye irritation
- skin irritations and rashes
- some of these can cause can cause brain, liver and kidney abnormalities through direct contact and are also known as cancer causing agents. (These are usually at the beginning of labels where soaps, lubricants are)
5. Fragrance —There are over 4,000 different fragrances, So Please just don’ use any product that contains any fragrance
- Carcinogen and CNS Central Nervous System dysfunctions
- Headache and dizziness
- Rash and skin irritation, hyper-pigmentation
- Violent coughing, vomiting (these are usually in the middle of label list)
6. Mineral oil, Paraffin are considered “PETROCHEMICALS” which are petroleum-based substances are derived from crude oil. They adhere to the surface of the skin forming a barrier preventing absorption and doesn’t allow the skin to breathe
- Can cause clog pores and Skin irritation
- Interferes with natural detoxification of the body
7. According to the EWG – THESE ARE THE TOP 6 CHEMICALS INGREDIENTS THAT KIDS SHOULD AVOID:
- 2-Bromo-2-Nitropropane-1,3 Diol,
- Boric acid and sodium borate
- DMDM Hydantoin
Why? Children are extremely sensitive because their bodies and brains are still developing, their metabolism, and all organ systems are less capable of fighting off chemical assaults. Many times it will lead to disease later in life.
What should you be using:
- Truly Natural
- Fragrance – Free (Unless the fragrance is an essential oil)
- Only ingredients that you understand and are sure of
Lypsso.com is the first non-biased meeting point for beauty users, professionals and companies to exchange information on natural and organic beauty products, beauty treatments and services, and professional beauty equipment. Search and review: natural and organic beauty products, beauty – hair salons and professional beauty equipment at Lypsso.com.
Being healthy in the toxic world we live in and keeping our families healthy is big responsibility, but one that we must take seriously. We need to all labels very carefully, check out all ingredients that we are not sure about, do our research, and never buy any product if you in doubt. There are many good products out there that are safe, but there are also many wolves in sheep skins. So remember to buy for you health and for the health of our environment.
Related Articles: “Healthy Hair – From The Skin Out”
Quote of the Day: “Dear future generations: Please accept our apologies. We were rolling drunk on petroleum.” ~ Kurt Vonnegut