In most cases, the term ‘wellness’ gets associated almost totally with the physical aspects of life. But according to Dr. Bill Hettler, co-founder of the National Wellness Institute, wellness has six dimensions which are interdependent and linked with each other.
These six dimensions are:
That is probably one fact that will open your eyes even more to wellness. Here are 5 more secrets about wellness.
1. It is a conscious process
If you want to enjoy wellness in the true sense of the term, then you have to be conscious about it. This consciousness simply means that you have to be tuned into your body and mind and make wise decisions when it comes to:
- Your diet.
- Your exercise routines.
- The attitudes you have to life and other people around you.
- Your belief systems.
- Your career goals and so on.
2. Deal with your insecurities
Every individual has insecurities and fears and sources of anxiety in life. Recognize the fact that this is perfectly normal. But equally importantly, you should be aware that these fears and anxieties could lead you into less-than-healthy habits such as addiction, social withdrawal and so on. It is a good idea to deal with these anxieties in the best manner possible. Getting professional help for the same is a fabulous idea. Turning to friends and family members also works wonderfully.
3. Stay for the long run
Look at the talks or information given to you by fitness gurus and they will encourage you to stay away from gimmicks and fads when it comes to diet and exercise. You may get magnificent results – ‘lose 20 lbs in 10 days’ or so on but the process of getting there will be severe and stressful, in most cases. Stick to safe and tested plans that will get you to your fitness goals in a healthy time frame and not leave you depressed, hungry and maybe even injured in some manner or the other.
4. Strategize for it
Wellness does not happen overnight. It may not even be sustainable for every single minute of every single day of your life. Recognize the fact that there may be difficult days:
- Sticking to a healthy diet or for some individuals a specific calorie intake number. Stay away from processed and junk foods and make it a goal to follow a healthy well-balanced diet filled with nutrition rich foods every day.
- Working out for a specific time duration every day, or regular exercise routine whether it be Tai chi, yoga or cardiovascular routine. Whatever works best for you.
- Staying away from the extra glass of wine which you so love.
- Being stress-free while negotiating morning commutes and so on.
But develop a plan or a strategy to deal with all these things and more. Instead of trying to work out for 1 hour every morning, why not do 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes in the evening?
5. Be positive
It is very important for you to give yourself positive feedback. Ideally, this feedback should be realistic and should come from your own self. But it is also great to have a support system in place – friends, colleagues, family, spouse and so on. Standing in front of a mirror and noticing the positive changes to your body, skin, face and so on should lead you to great commitment to wellness.
Shared on SIMPLY NATURAL SATURDAYS!
Shared on OUR SIMPLE HOMESTEAD BLOG HOP!