A very important part of Green living is about using natural non toxic chemical free products that good for our health and the environment. One product that I feel that fits into all those categories is Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2). It can be used to replace chlorine bleach, ammonia, and other toxic chemicals that harm the environment, our rivers, streams, and plants. I use this product for some many things, it is economical, part of a green and healthy lifestyle.It is great for cleaning, as a disinfectant, kills germs and bacteria. It’s so good for your health for cleansing as an antibacterial, anti-fungal agent, and so much more.
I love to toot the many uses and value of Hydrogen Peroxide.
Some Interesting Facts:
Peroxide was invented during WWI in the 1920’s. It was used to save and help cleanse the needs of our troops and hospitals. It is so much healthier than using bleach that was invented in the late 1940’s which is chlorine and was used to kill our troops. So that fact alone should explain why you shouldn’t be using choline bleach in your home or any where. It also has a very strong toxic odor that I find offensive and very irritating to my throat and nose.
I have read medical stories of patients having gangrene that would not heal with any medicine but was healed by soaking in peroxide.
It doesn’t smell and is good for the environment, helps clean the air and pollution. Hydrogen peroxide is part of Nature’s watering and cleaning system. Did you realize that Hydrogen peroxide will oxidize many kinds of pathogens. It helps to clean the air as the rain falls because there is a small amount of hydrogen peroxide in the rain water.
Some Useful Tips On Ways To Use Hydrogen Peroxide:
1. Use it for a Feet: Peroxide is a great anti-fungal.
- It is great for athlete’s foot or any fungus on your feet. Soak you feet 1-2 times a day just for a few minutes in 3% peroxide — you can reuse the same water for a few days before changing solution. It’s also good just for a general foot bath. If you don’t have the time or just find it easier you can just spray it on your feet and toes with a 50/50 solution of water and peroxide and then let your feet air dry.
- It also great for a regular relaxing foot-bath. Pour the peroxide into hot water and for extra soothing and a great aroma and a few drops of essential oil.
- Cleanse and soak you pumice stone and nail brush in peroxide solution overnight to rid the germs and any bacteria.
- Clean the inside of your shoes with peroxide by occasionally spraying – it will help if you have problems with foot odor and also kills any fungus.
2. Keep you mouth clean:
- Clean your dentures, retainer, toothbrushes with peroxide, will kill any germs. Let the soak overnight in hydrogen peroxide solution.
- Wash your mouth out and/or gargle with hydrogen peroxide. Use one capful of peroxide and hold it in your mouth for 10 minutes daily – Your breath will be fresh, your teeth will be brighter and whiter than ever before and no more canker sores in your mouth.
3. Use in hydrogen peroxide in gardening: Peroxide supports strong healthy plants. It works by releasing oxygen and acts as an oxygen supplement for plants.
- Use to water or mist plants,
- Add to water to soak the seeds They will be much healthier, stronger and sprout faster.
- Spray on sick plants that have fungus or mold on — try spraying the leaves. Hydrogen peroxide is a must for your plants.
- Use as a weed killer, but to be effective you should use 10% peroxide solution.
4. Use it in your Kitchen: It kills salmonella and other bacteria. I keep a spray bottle of 50/50 water and hydrogen peroxide at arms reach
- Clean you counter tops
- Clean you cutting board – just spray it on after each use
- Spray some on your dishrag or sponge to keep it fresh and germ free
- Clean your floor with it – you can just spray it on your floor and mop
- Add about 2 oz. of 3-percent hydrogen peroxide into the detergent compartment of your dishwasher with your regular detergent. Your dishes will come out completely clean, germ free, remove spots from glasses and it also helps to keep your dishwasher sanitized.
5. Use it in your Bathroom: Is a great disinfectant and wouldn’t harm your septic system like many other products do
- Clean your toilet and for extra power add some baking soda
- Use it to clean you shower stall or bathtub, and sink to kill germs – mix cream of tartar and hydrogen peroxide into a paste.
- If you have a mold problem anywhere in the house – Hydrogen Peroxide is a great mold inhibitor — you should use 5% solution of hydrogen peroxide or greater.
- Use it to clean your mirrors – no smearing
6. Use it to replace your toxic hair coloring: Hydrogen Peroxide is great if your want to add natural highlights to your hair
- Use 50/50 solution water and peroxide on wet hair after a shower and comb it through
- You will add natural highlights without the toxic chemicals
- It will look natural because it highlights gradually and it’s not such a drastic change
7. Use it in your laundry: Instead of toxic bleach to whiten your clothes
- Add 1 cup of peroxide to a full load
- Or for a blood stain pour it directly on the soiled spot, let sit for a minute, then rub it and rinse with cold water. Repeat if necessary.
8. Use it for your health: Will cleanse, kills germs and bacteria, and disinfect.
- If you have a cold or sinus headache – tilt your head back and spray into your nostrils — it will bubble and help kill the bacteria.
- If you have a terrible toothache and can’t get to the dentist immediately — put a capful of 3% peroxide in your mouth and hold it for 10 minutes several times a day. It will lessen the pain greatly.
- Soak any infections or cuts in 3% peroxide for 5 -10 minutes several times a day.
- Use it to clean your hands – it will kill germs and is so much safer for your body than using those anti-bacterial hand sanitizier’s
9. Use it to clean you food: I always recommend eating organic or local harvest foods but they should also be cleaned – No need to buy expensive produce cleaners.
- Add a quarter to a half cup of peroxide to a sink full of water and wash fresh fruits and veggies to eliminate germs.
- Hydrogen peroxide will also help to prolong the life of your produce (fruits and vegetables) and preserve them naturally — Add 4 oz. of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide to 1 quart water in a spray bottle — spray it directly on the produce to kill bacteria and it will also help to preserve them, naturally.
10. Use Hydrogen Peroxide to Clean Sanitize, Disinfect, removes odors anywhere in your home:
- Combine 1 pt. of 3-percent hydrogen peroxide with 1 gallon of water. Pour into a humidifier or steamer and run it as usual to clean its interior.
- Heaven only knows how many germs we accumulate on your computer keyboard – Dampen a cotton ball with 3-percent hydrogen peroxide and run along the keyboard of your computer to disinfect and clean keys.
- A skunk odor removal solution – – 1 quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide, 1/2 cup baking soda, 1 tbsp. of liquid dish soap, on quart water — this potion changes the skunk spray chemistry, rendering it odorless.
Hydrogen Peroxide is truly a little brown bottle that no home should be without and can be bought almost anywhere from your local drug store to the Dollar Store. It cost about a dollar for a quart. Hydrogen peroxide is non-toxic for people, plants, household animals, and the earth. Save your money and stop buying expensive products. Live green in every way you can and leave a legacy to our children of a cleaner and healthier world for them to live in. This planet was a gift and we need to take care of it because we are the only ones that can make a difference.
Other Sources: Less – Toxic Alternatives Tenth Edition Author: Carolyn Gorman
Shared On MAMADE BLOG HOP!