March is National Nutrition Month and the beginning of Spring, when Winter fades away and nature comes back to life. I would like to share some thoughts on what National Nutrition Month means and some important ways to improve your health.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, sponsors the National Nutrition Month which focuses on the importance changing and making educated, healthy, food choices and developing proper exercise and physical activity habits.
Many people struggle to maintain healthy diets whether they are at home, working, or on the go. To have a healthy nutritious diet and live a healthy lifestyle we have to have the knowledge of what that actually means. I believe that living as naturally as possible is extremely important to have proper nutrition and plays a major part in living and being healthy.
Some important steps to proper nutrition and healthy living:
- Eating real food that hasn’t been contaminated with toxic chemicals! No artificial dyes, additives, or pesticides. Make sure your diet is clean and lean. Eat organic and/or local harvest foods that you are sure that their growing practices are safe. If your budget doesn’t always allow organic follow EWG fewer pesticides guide. Eat only grass-fed beef, free range poultry that hasn’t been contaminated with hormones or antibiotics. Buy local if possible.
- Avoid GMO’s at all costs! Don’t poison your body with genetically engineered factory generated processed foods. They are toxic and unnatural. Eat a healthy diet that includes organic foods or local harvest foods, lots of fresh vegetables and fruits.
- Prevent and treat disease naturally by educating ourselves and our families on natural remedies, cures, alternative methods of healing, eating properly, change our environment, and most of all take control of your health.
- A healthy Immune system! Keep your immune system strong and healthy with herbs and spices that are filled with antioxidants such as garlic, turmeric, and ginger. Some important steps to a healthy immune system!
- A strong digestive system. A health digestive system is the key to a healthy immune system. Taking a probiotic daily can be very beneficial or eating fermenting foods such as sauerkraut, or raw organic yogurt.
- De-Stress and exercise regularly! Try practicing yoga, meditation, tai chi, listening to relaxing music. or talking a walk and enjoy the spring air and the awakening of nature!
- Keep your body and environment safe and clean! Stop using toxic cleaning or personal care products. Polluting your body with toxic chemicals that are poisoning you and your family can be harmful to your health. Make you own DIY recipes or buy organic and truly natural products. For cleaning use natural products such as lemons, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, and essential oils. For personal care products – DIY products are great or if you prefer to purchase them make sure you do your research, read labels very carefully and find what is best for your needs. A good rule is if you can’t pronounce it don’t buy it and if in doubt don’t buy!
- Plenty of restful peaceful sleep. Good quality sleep is part of living healthy. Without proper sleep our bodies can not regenerate. Some suggestions to help get get plenty of sleep!
National Nutrition Month helps us to be aware and make some positive changes in our daily lives. Living a natural green lifestyle can help you to make every month and day a nutritional and healthy one!