I’m sure you have seen more and more organic products on supermarket counters and local farmers market, but have you ever really thought what it actually means to be organic and how our environment is benefiting from it? Organic farming is generally believed to be suitable and safe for the environment, making it worthy of our support. There has been a lot studies conducted between the use of organic and conventional farming process and organic farming often shows more benefits for the environment.
But what are these advantages and how are they better over other farming system?
- Organic farming does not allow the use of any synthetic chemicals at any stage of the farming process. It takes a proactive approach and not endlessly looking for solutions after the problems have occurred. The fact alone that pesticides and artificial fertilizers have been proven scientifically to cause damaging effects to human health and the environment is more than enough reason to switch to organic farming. Are you aware that when pesticides are applied to crops, 99% of the chemicals it hold ends up in the soil and only 1% reach the crops?
- Organic farming does not contribute to water and air pollution. It does not allow build-up of toxic residues to our ecosystem that can affect the diet of animals at the top of the food chain.
Organic farming enhances interaction with the ecosystem. It helps in the development and conditioning of soil, recycling of nutrients, prevention of soil erosion, encourages pollination and predation and provide habitats for insects and animals. Farming practices like inter-cropping, minimum tillage, crop rotation, use of cover crops and organic fertilizers are essential to organic practices. It’s an agricultural system that causes minimal pollution and reduces degradation of our natural resources, thus creating a more stable ecosystem.
- Organic farming also helps minimize the effects of global warming as most produce are distributed locally. This means that farm produce does not need to be transported long distances, thus cutting down energy (fuel) consumption and carbon dioxide emission which is the primary cause of global warming.
- Crops produced through organic farming are certified GMO free. You are assured that the food you serve on your dinner table did not come from altered genomes to enhance their size and looks rather than their nutritive qualities.
- Another great thing about food that are produced organically is that they are more flavorful and healthful. A lot of people now prefer grass-fed beef not just because they taste better than grain-fed beef, but also because they are lower in fat and with more omega 3 fatty acids which makes them more heart friendly.
Article Provided by: Ramon Mañego writes for Organics Superfoods Store. Organic Superfoods Store is an online store, based in Florida serving their customers since 2012.
Find out more at:
SHARED ON Lets GET REAL LINK UP!