Earth Day is a special day chosen to unite globally our appreciation and care for our earth and environment.
Earth Day was started in the US in 1970 by Senator Gaylord Nelson to create awareness for the Earth’s environment and to encourage conservation efforts. Earth Day became an international and global celebration in 1990, and currently, more than 500 million people in 175 countries observe Earth Day.
It is a day that many voices come together in support for a healthier planet, sustainable future for our children and all future generations. Uniting globally can make a tremendous impact on the health of our planet and our own health. Living green, natural, loving our planet, giving back to nature, making sure our ecological footprint is one that we can be proud of.
We hear about global warming, climate change, the ozone being destroyed, greenhouse gas emissions, electrical pollution, polluted streams and lakes, smog, diseases such as cancer that has become a household word and touched every family, and we know that we need to make many changes. Earth day is a reminder that we need to change and make our planet safer, healthier, and to awaken an awareness of the environmental impact that what we do every day affects our planet either in a positive or negative way. A day to celebrate life and show our appreciation for our earth.
Environmentalist and those that spoke out about the toxicity and pollution at one time were thought to be extremist or Nerds. This my friends is no longer true. Millions of people are now aware and practicing substantial and green living. They are recycling, reducing waste and toxicity, living a green and natural lifestyle, eating and gardening organically, caring about nature, and most of all trying to reverse the damage to a polluted world. But still so much needs to be done. Our battle is not over and fight is on going.
Take an Action in service of our planet on Earth Day:
- Plant a tree that has a big impact on our environment – it helps pollution, reduces greenhouse emissions, provides homes for animals and birds, and helps reduce soil erosion.
- Voice your opinion to your friends and encourage them to make changing in their own lives.
- Do a special project or craft for children to awaken their minds to our environment.
- Thank an organic farmer or gardener for all their hard work and for caring enough to practice organically.
- Take extra time to learn something new about the environment or how to live green – just one small change that you continue to do can make a big difference in our planets health.
- Buy those reusable bags that you have thought about getting for months now. Just do it today!
- Talk to your children about how they need to care about nature and our environment. For heavens sakes make sure you practice what you preach!
To me Earth Day is not just one day of the year April 22nd, but it is every day.We all need to practice green living each and every day!
Some Rules to Follow for Living Green and Saving Our Planet Earth!
- Plant Based
- Chlorine Free
- Ammonia Free
- Solvent Free
- Phosphate Free
- No Synthetic Fragrances or Dyes
Practice Organic or Natural Beauty and Safe Personal Care Products!
- Parabens (synthetic preservative)
- Phthalates (Fragrance)
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and Sodium Laureth Sulfate
- Ethylenediamine Tetraacetic Acid (EDTA)
- Formaldehyde (preservative)
- Propylene Glycol (petrochemical)
- Toluene (volatile organic compound)
- Diethanolamin (DEA)
- Monoethanolamine (MEA)
- Triethanolamine (TEA)
Green Standards to Follow When Purchasing Products For the Home:
- Environmentally Preferable Purchasing (EPP) Program – products or services that have a lesser or reduced effect on human health and the environment
- Consideration of a product environmental impact should be part of normal purchasing decision.
- Reading Labels carefully and researching known hazards of product.
- Consider the life cycle impact on a local, regional, national, and global scale when comparing products.
- Energy efficiency and sustainably.
4 Golden Rules to Follow for Curbing Waste:
- Extend – take care of product to maximize their life span.
- Recycle and Compost
Make this Earth Day special and make some changes in your life. Being green is contagious and it starts with one little thing that suddenly blossoms and grows like a flower into life changing eye-opening natural reflex. Every time we decide to do something to be more green, we use our power to make the world a better place. Make every dollar you spend as a consumer be a vote for green living. Changing and living green is a process that takes time, by practicing small steps every day you will find its well worth the effort. Make a difference! Have a wonderful Earth Day!