In my last article I had provided some facts about spring allergies and some alternative tips. Now I would like to give you some herbal and natural remedies that can relieve your symptoms and sometimes cure the misery that allergies cause in your life.
Herbal And Natural Remedies:
- Butterbur. The herb butterbur has proven to reduce symptoms in laboratory studies due to its anti-inflammatory properties that decrease leukotrienes and histamines that are associated with allergic reactions. When taking a butterbur supplement make sure that it has been processed to remove pyrrolizidine alkaloids ( this can be toxic to the liver) this takes a special extraction method to eliminate these alkaloids.
- Quercetin. This flavonoid that contains anti-inflammatory properties that has shown in research to block histamines. It is found naturally in onions, apples, and black tea or you can take a quercetin supplement.
- Stinging nettle. The roots and leaves of the stinging nettle plant is rich in healthy nutrients, has been used to treat many ailments including an effective, natural herbal remedy for allergy relief. One of the best ways to take Stinging Nettle for natural allergy relief is in the form of a strong tea — Boil 2/3 cup water and then pour it over 3 to 4 tsp of dried nettle leaves or roots. Allow this to steep for three to five minutes before removing the leaves or roots and drinking the tea. You can consume this tea up to four times a day. — Or you can try using nettle tincture — mix 20 drops with warm water and drink. Do this twice daily – once in the morning and again at night.
- Natural Saline Solution: Use 1 teaspoon salt, add a pinch of baking soda in 1 pint of warm distilled water. Use twice daily and it will help to reduce the inflammation and wash out the irritant in your nose. You can buy saline solution in almost any drug store but many times they have additives and preservative in them that are not healthy and can irritate your nasal passages.
- Peppermint: Try a cup of hot organic peppermint tea that for centuries helped allergy sufferers and relieved irritated mucous membranes and stuffy noses. Peppermint essential oil is a great decongestant, is known for it anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties.
- Stinging nettle. The roots and leaves of the stinging nettle plant is rich in healthy nutrients, has been used to treat many ailments including an effective, natural herbal remedy for allergy relief. One of the best ways to take Stinging Nettle for natural allergy medicine is in the form of a strong tea — Boil 2/3 cup water and then pour it over 3 to 4 tsp of dried nettle leaves or roots. Allow this to steep for three to five minutes before removing the leaves or roots and drinking the tea. You can consume this tea up to four times a day. — Or you can try using nettle tincture — mix 20 drops with warm water and drink. Do this in the morning when you wake up and again at night.
- Yarrow: Due to yarrow’s anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, Dr. Sharol Tilgner, a naturopathic physician and author of the book “Herbal Medicine From the Heart of the Earth,” states that yarrow is an antiseptic, anti-fungal, astringent, styptic, pain reliever, anti-inflammatory and stimulating diaphoretic that is helpful in treating the congestion associated with colds and allergies.
Eyebright: This herbal remedy treats allergy symptoms such as nose, sinus and eye congestion, eyelid inflammation,coughs and hoarseness. Ed Smith, a herbalist and author of the book “Therapeutic Herb Manual,” states that eyebright is an anti-inflammatory and antihistamine for mucus membranes of your eyes, ears, nose, sinuses, throat and bronchi.
- Vitamin C: A natural antihistamine that helps to reduce inflammation. Flavonoids such as quercetin, rutin, and hesperidin also have antihistamine properties and work well with vitamin C. Vitamin C and the flavonoids are naturally in many foods, such as berries, plums, citrus fruits, peppers, spinach, and broccoli. Eat them often. Taking a Vitamin C supplement can also be very beneficial.
- Raw, organic apple cider vinegar: Taking 1 tablespoon of raw, organic apple cider vinegar every morning and before going outside can block our body’s histamine reaction and it reduces inflammation. Mix 1 tablespoon of ACV with a cup of warm water and a spoonful of local, raw honey. Taking a daily dose can be very beneficial and help to boost the immune system.
- Local Raw Honey: Raw honey has the greatest ability to reduce allergies naturally or get rid of them all together. If you know what it is that causes your allergies to flare up, your body can build a tolerance to it if you consume local honey from that specific plant source. If you know what pollen causes your symptoms purchase that type of honey or if it contains pollen from several plants it can provide a broader spectrum of coverage.
- Raw Yogurt: According to Italian researchers, 2 cups of plain yogurt daily helps prevent allergy flare-ups, and it reduces your allergy symptoms by 40 percent or more if you’re already suffering. “The friendly bacteria in yogurt ramp up your body’s production of anti-inflammatory proteins, molecules that tell your immune system to stay calm when it encounters pollen,” explains Jeanne Drisko, M.D., head of integrative medicine at the University of Kansas Medical Center.
- Nasal Irrigation System: The “Nasal Irrigation system” (check this product out — read the reviews), works so well for seasonal allergies and chronic sinusitis, naturally and without drugs — The pulsating water is the key. It promotes regrowth of cilia. This can not be achieved by other means such as sprays or a neti pot.
- Homepathic: Homeopathic remedies have also proven to be very beneficial in the treatment of seasonal allergies. Because everyone’s issues are so different it’s best to see a qualified practitioner for a proper recommendation. The results can be extremely beneficial.
Taking OTC or prescription drugs for allergies can have serious dangerous side effects. Using a natural or herbal remedy is a better choice, the chance of side effects are extremely low, and medicinal plants were used long before we learned how to make our own medicines! We all are unique individuals and are bodies function differently so find the herbal or natural remedy that works best for you and you will be on the road to living a truly green lifestyle. Please remember that if we want to be healthy and have a strong immune system to fight against any disease or illness we need to eat a healthy organic diet and take care of our bodies as God meant us to.