As I had promised from my previous post last week Superfoods for Super Health I am continuing with five more superfoods to help you on your road to a healthy a green lifestyle.
1. Chia Seeds are powerhouse energy, packed with fiber, and essential fatty acids, including omega-3. Chia seeds are one of my personal favorite superfoods that I try to add to my diet and my husband’s daily diet. To learn more Read – “Loving Healthy With Chia Seeds!”
2. Flaxseed is a tiny power-packed seeds that have many health benefits.
- Rich in anti-inflammatory omega-3 essential fatty acids (the heart-healthy fats)
- Loaded with lignans a powerful antioxidant
- Has soluble and insoluble fiber.
Flaxseed can be bough whole and then grind them, buy ground flaxseed, or flaxseed oil. You can sprinkle over organic blueberries, cooked vegetables, add them to smoothies.
3. Goji berries are a sweet tart berry – they are nutritional powerhouse. Among goji berries many health benefits:
- Natural anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal compounds.
- Rich in antioxidants and high in fiber.
- Contain essential amino acids and loaded with vitamin C, have 21 trace minerals, 15 times higher in iron than spinach.
- Have the highest concentration of protein of any other fruit.
- Several test tube studies have shown that goji berry and goji extracts may prevent the growth of cancer cells
- Reduce blood glucose.
- Improve insulin resistance.
- Lower cholesterol levels.
- Protect brain and heart health.
4. Green tea is a centuries old superfood.
- Protect against cancer and heart disease
- Treat acne
- Balance blood sugar
- New studies show that it could prevent strokes.
Green tea can be used as a tea either loose leaf or bagged tea and serve it instead of coffee with raw honey. Make sure it is organic! You can buy it as a powdered drink mix and is used in healthy cereals and noodles.
5. Kale is green superfood and has said to be one of the healthiest vegetables on the planet. Kale has many health benefits.
- High in cancer-preventative contains carotenoids, flavonoids, and high in vitamin K. These all greatly reduce your risk of dying of cancer.
- Protects the eyes against macular degeneration because it contains lutein and zeaxanthin.
- Kale is high in calcium that is essential for building strong bones.
- Just as important, it’s really high in magnesium which, along with vitamin D, helps the body absorb calcium.
- Kale is an immune system booster
Superfood Green Smoothie Recipe
- fresh coconut or 1 can of Thai organic unsweetened raw coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds (raw or soaked in water for about 1/2 hour)
- 1 tablespoon organic goji berries
- 2 tablespoons organic blueberries
- 1 handful of organic spinach
- 2 medium leaves of organic kale
- 1/2 teaspoon of organic green tea powder
- ½ handful of almonds
Directions: Cut open the coconut and scoop out the flesh with the water or just add the raw organic coconut milk into blender or small food processor. Add chia seeds, goji berries, blueberries, spinach, kale, green tea powder, and almonds to blender. Mix or blend until a smooth creamy texture. ENJOY!
Superfoods are so important to living a healthy and green lifestyle. If you are not including some of these superfoods in your diet and your family’s I believe that you should seriously consider incorporated some of them into your meals. Our health is a precious gift that we need to nurture and make smart choices to ensure a healthy future for our family’s. Are you making the right choices?
SHARED ON THE HEALTHY HAPPY GREEN & NATURAL BLOG HOP!