It’s that dreaded time of year when those around you, your co-workers and friends all seem to be coming down with those miserable cold and flu symptoms such as sneezing, coughing, sniffling, sore throat, and sinus headache. You certainly don’t want to get sick or have one of your family member’s feeling crappy. I have some good news for — there are very effective natural ways that you can treat and prevent the cold and flu and stay healthy with some very special herbal remedies.
Using these herbal remedies can help ensure that you wouldn’t have to miss work or spread germs to other members of your family and the kids won’t miss school and your whole family stays happy and healthy.
The three top herbs recommended by David Winston, RH (AGH) a registered and highly respected herbalist that has had his own clinical practice for over 34 years, and professional member of the American Herbalists Guild.
3 Top Recommended Herbs To Prevent and Treat Colds and Flu:
1. Elderberry — A gently herb can be used to both prevent and treat colds and flu with a pleasant taste.
- It reduces inflammation, reduces congestion, and histamine production.
- Prevent allergies that can develop into sinus infections.
- If the flu or cold virus has already hit you with its dreaded symptoms it can speed up your recovery time, substantially. Elderberry syrup can be a big help!
2. Andrographis — This is the strongest of these three herbs and has been used for thousands of years in Chinese medicine ayurvedic medicine.
- It finds and kills harmful bacteria and viruses without destroying the beneficial bacteria such as probiotics which is so critical for a healthy immune system.
- It stimulates certain types of immune cells that destroy foreign invaders that might be trying to attach to your body.
- Andrographis stimulates the body’s production of antibodies and macrophages (white blood cells that scavenge harmful microorganisms)
- It doesn’t aggravate rheumatoid arthritis or other autoimmune diseases.
- Andrographis shouldn’t be taken if pregnant.
- Since it has a rather bitter taste that many people do not like why not try masking it by sipping a mouthful of tomato or grape juice then squirting the andrographis into your mouth and swallow them together.
3. Echinacea — Among the three most popular types of echinacea Winston recommends taking the strongest which is echinacea angustifolia alone or with Echinacea purpurea and/or Echinacea pallida for the best results.
- Echinacea stimulates the immune system, helps the body fight infection, contains therapeutic properties such as polysaccharides, glycoproteins, alkamides, volatile oils, and flavonoids.
- According to the University of Maryland Medical Center it is believed that echinacea can shorten the duration of the common cold and flu and reduce symptoms, such as sore throat (pharyngitis), cough, and fever.
- Several clinical trials have shown that people who take echinacea as soon as they feel sick, reduce the severity of their cold and have fewer symptoms than those who do not take the herb.
Some Helpful Tips:
- A good general rule according to Winston is using daily dosages on product labels for prevention and doubling if treating the cold or flu.
- When using tinctures which are normally well absorbed take the low-end of recommended dosages and the high-end for treatment.
- You can take any of these herbs that will help your immune system stay strong and healthy but for extra power take all three that will give your immune system a super boost.
- To help your immune system stay strong and healthy get plenty of quality sleep and eat a healthy organic diet. Stay away from processed foods and fast foods that are filled with additives dyes, GMOs, and toxins.
- If you have any current health conditions or taking any medication it is always recommended that you consult with your healthcare provider before taking any herbal remedy or supplements.
These herbs can be used to help prevent disease, treat disease, and help you and your family live healthier lives. Nature provides us with so many natural gifts to help our bodies stay strong and healthy. Lets start taking advantage of these and living a natural and greener lifestyle for the our health and the health of our planet.
Live Natural, Live Healthy, Live Green, and Live in Harmony With Nature!